About Planning and Development Department
At the time of liberation the present area of AJ&K was most undeveloped part of the State of Jammu & Kashmir and it remained as such till mid fifties when economic and social development process was launched though development plan and despite financial constraints efforts were made to provide sound base for development of the area.
In early sixties a planning cell with some skeleton staff was established in the Finance Department by the State Government with the aim to focus upon development of area. Later on, the status of this cell was upgrade on full-fledged department in seventies (1972) with Sardar Muhammad Habib Khan as its first development Commissioner/Add. Chief Secretary (Dev.). The terms of reference (TORs) of the development were set forth as below:
- Improvement of socio economic infrastructure through centralized Planning & Development.
- Natural Resource Management through participatory approach for the purpose of income generation and poverty alleviation.
- Human Resource Development.
- Provide Social & economic services to the community.
To plan for pro-poor integrated participatory development, aiming at resource conservation, value addition and skill enhancement.
"Plan & embark AJ&K upon the path to help the people of AJ&K become highly educated, skilled, fully employed, prosperous & a happy population by providing efficient services & financial resources to develop the latent economic opportunities utilizing local resources".
- Planning and Development including policy and procedures. Co-ordination work relating to the preparation of the Annual Development Programme and its review.
- Execution and processing of all development schemes, programmes and proposals submitted by other departments including autonomous bodies and making recommendations to government thereupon; functions of the development working Party.
- Maintaining Liaison with the national Planning Agencies.
- Dealing with Autonomous and Semi-Autonomous Bodies in regard to development planning programmes and projects in AJ&K.
- Economic research.
- Co-ordination of technical assistance.
- To monitor and evaluate the progress of development schemes and their critical appraisal.
- Co-ordination of technical assistance from abroad including training facilities expert advisory service and equipment.
- Co-ordination of training of Local Officers and private sector candidates in foreign countries.
- Matters relating to the regional development projects (AJ&K).
- Price stabilization policy.
- Protocol functions in connection with visits of foreign economic missions and delegations; etc.
- Initiation of measures for giving suitable publicity on the results achieved from time to time.
- Service matters except those entrusted to Services and General administration Department (SGA).
- Transport and Communication/Power.
- Physical Planning & Housing/Local Government & Rural Development.
- Education/Sports youth & Culture.
- Information Technology.
- Industries/Social Welfare.
- Agriculture/Foreign Aid.
- Monitoring and Evaluation/Computer.
Published: 25-05-2016, Source: http://ajk.gov.pk